View single post by connyankee
 Posted: Tue Nov 8th, 2005 11:35 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
connyankee

Mana: 

Interesting observations, all.  I think Sibley thought he could roll up the Union forts along the river and secure the area for the Confederacy and he began to do so.  Unfortunately for him he ran into a bunch of pretty tough miners, mostly from Colorado, who were pretty used to a hard life anyway.  A lot of these people, already in the territories at the outbreak of the war, had to choose sides out there.

As far as being given a brigade goes, I don't think Sibley was given anything.  It is known that he went east to get "permission" from Jefferson Davis for his idea of rolling up the Union forts.  If he asked for men, equipment and supplies, there is little evidence to suggest that Davis had any of these to give.  No, Sibley recruited his own men and supplies.

Sure would like to visit La Glorietta Pass someday, if there's anything left of it by the time I get there.  It is a very endangered site as I understand.

Ever watch the movie "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly," with Clint Eastwood?  The backdrop of the flick is loosely based (I mean really loose) on Sibley's retreat from the territory.  "Blondie, you son of a b...."

Not sure, but I think Sibley is buried in Fredericksburg, VA.

:)

Close Window