View single post by susansweet
 Posted: Fri Jan 19th, 2007 04:16 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
susansweet

Mana: 

Johan I agree with your choices.  Shiloh as I said before is I think my favorite battlefield to visit but Chickamauga is also a beautiful well maintained battlefield .  It is huge.  I was one of maybe two or three people that were on the  battlefield that day.  It was misty and at times rainy day.  There was a school tour at the visitor center that had totally blocked the entrace with their buses.  I did finally get around the buses into the center, Got the maps etc and while they were watching the film and getting lectures I hit the trail .  I had the field to myself for most of the tour.  I could forget I was in the 20h century (except for my car).  There is one spot where there is a grave with a wrough iron fence around it.  It is the grave of a soldier who was killed in the battle that was a local boy.  I stood there for a time in tears.  Rain coming down on me. 

Having relatives on both sides I would marvel first at a spot where a Confederate had fought bravely such as the site of Hood's wounding  then move to another section of he field and switch sides marveling at the Wilder monument and where Thomas stood as the Rock of Chickamauga.  So much to see .  I do need to go back and see it again and walk the fields. 

You who live in the east are so lucky to be so close. 

Close Window