View single post by CleburneFan
 Posted: Sat Jan 20th, 2007 02:24 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I'd like to sit down to dinner with about six Civil War notables, but maybe Jefferson Davis would be a most interesting if exceedingly frustrating person to interview. I would like to know how he kept on fighting and even planned to mount a partisan war in the woods and mountains after Appomattox when the cost had become so unbearable for his fellow Confederates with starvation, disease, lack of goods and services, a breakdown of institutions and law and order. 

What was he still fighting for at that point? If he says it is about states rights, I'd have to ask the states rights to do what exactly? Keep up the institution of slavery? And if it boiled down to slavery, how did he justify that after years of fighting and destruction that laid waste to much of the Confederacy. 

I'd like to ask how he justified the desperate measure of arming slaves as soldiers, even when he was told that by doing so the whole reasoning behind slavery was lost. What made him come to that extreme when previously he had rejected the same idea as proposed by the visionary General Patrick Cleburne and ordered that no one speak of such a dangerous thing out loud.

I'd want to know if he could do it all over again, would he have assigned his generals differently, listened to their advice and accepted others ideas or did he still think he was the single best person in the entire Confederacy to manage the war. One last question for Davis...knowing what he knows now...would he have demanded that Confederate leaders sit down at the negotaiting table with their Union counterparts and even if it took a year, work out a peaceful settlement and do whatever it takes to avoid what turned out to be a calamitous war.

Close Window