View single post by Basecat
 Posted: Sun Jan 28th, 2007 05:11 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Basecat

Mana: 

sjh wrote: Is anyone else astonished that "Little Mac" is receiving new interest that entertains the notion that perhaps he was not as bad of a general as most people have typically believed?

I unfortunately cannot claim to be an expert and time simply does not permit me to read and delve into such subjects as I would like. However, it seems to me that the stalemate at Antietam alone is sufficient reason to doubt his generalship.

What will revisionists come up with next? Maybe that Fredericksburg was a Union victory or that Franklin was a Confederate triumph?

SJH,

I am not surprised at all, as there has always been many who feel Little Mac gets the short stick.  Much the same can be said for those many supporters of Dan Sickles, who feel he was right in what he did at the Battle of Gettysburg on July 2, 1863.

Where I always have supported Little Mac is he made what became known as the AoP.  I wonder what would have happened had that job not been placed under him at the time it was.  To me that is his major contribution to the Union war effort.

Hope all is well.

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve Basic

Last edited on Sun Jan 28th, 2007 05:12 am by Basecat

Close Window