View single post by Fuller
 Posted: Fri Feb 9th, 2007 09:55 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
E Pluribus Unum

Joined: Mon Oct 23rd, 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 248

  back to top

Okay, this is what I have found...A very nice Ranger at Gettysburg let me know that a Mr. William Young did file a federal claim for damages (I'm assuming because of the loss of his crops).  They have no record of him owning property in Adams Co there at the park but the Ranger thought that maybe he was actually a resident of Highland Township or Germany Township near Littlestown, PA.

I came across some news clippings of personal accounts from the Young family that would place them closer than the 8 mile distance to Littlestown though.  I believe the farm was much closer to Gettysburg.

Here is a great little bit of history from Laura Young one of the many children of William...

She was born August 11, 1855 a mile and a half east of the little city of Gettysburg on the farm owned by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. William Young.  She was therefore eight years old when the great battle was fought.

"It was early in the morning of July 1, 1863" she says "that I recall hearing of preparations for the attack the Confederate army was to make on their sweep northwards.  My parents were busy hiding their valuables, and storing away food, when the first shots were heard.  Our farm was situated between Round Top and Culp's Hill, on the Baltimore Turnpike that led into the villiage.

"The line of attack formed between those two points and it already went across our 250 acre farm.  As the march went on, our crops of wheat and hay were thoroughly trampled down, and I can see to this day the men falling one after another as the cannon balls penetrated their bodies.  We were advised to abandon our home the first day because of the danger, but after spending the night at my uncle's farm, my father decided it was safe for us to come home.

"I had four brothers and two brother-in-laws in the Army of the Potomac.  My two sisters living at home were called upon to help with nursing the wounded, who were housed in the schools and churches and farm houses.  The bodies of the dead were buried temporarily in the fields, and the whole of Adam's County was turned into a bloody field of war.

"The Army of the Potomac was first led by Hooker but on June 28th George Meade was put in command because of a dispute between Halleck and Hooker.  It was a beautiful site to see the army marching down the Baltimore Pike, with the infantry, artillery and calvary, all boys and men we knew and who lived in our neighborhood.  And I can remember begging my father to let me go to the corner of the field to see my brother Sam as he was marching four abreast with the other souldiers.  But because of my age and the danger i was not allowed to go.

"Union soldiers were quartered on our farm during the three days struggle and unless you have seen armies in actual battle you cannot realize the bloodshed of war.

"The second day of the fight was similar to the first one.  Our army would advance and then retreat and the struggle for the possesion of Round Top was one of the fiercest single combats in history.  And even though the hill was finally taken by our soldiers it cost hundreds of lives.

"We were awakend early on July 3 by the roar of the artillery from Culp's Hill, and the most desperate attack of the three days was Pickett's charge on Cemetary hill near our farm.  And because of the heavy loss of men on both sides this spot was named 'Bloody Angle'.  It was on Shefy's peach orchard that General Pickett was killed."

Equally interesting is Laura's account of the Gettysburg Address...

"It was four months later, November 19, that I heard President Linclon deliver the address at the Gettysburg cemetary.  There were throngs of people gathered to hear the President of the United States and I can remember that fall day when with my parents I went to the National Cemetary for the occasion.  Edward Everette Hale gave a talk that lasted over an hour, glorifying the war, and in his flowery way he made the valley ring with applause.  And then I can remember President Lincoln in his awkward way, tall and thin and with a grave face, standing before the people and beginning his famous 'Fourscore and..' Dead silence greeted it's close, with not a hand clapped nor a word spoken, not a sound of approval.  Only as I looked into the eyes of my father, I saw the tears that I had never seen before.  And I recall that going home at dusk with my parents by my side, my father said to my mother 'Lincoln said more in five minutes than Hale did in an hour.'"

William had a young son Charles, who also remembered hearing the address and even had a run in with the President when he was 12 years old...

"My father was a great admirer of Lincoln and my brothers were in the Potomac Division of the Union Army.  I stood only a few feet from Lincoln and gazed into his face as he delivered his speech.  As I remember it, he had a crumbled piece of paper in his hand.  I remember distinctly his grave and solem appearance as he stood and faced the audience.

At the President's reception, which followed, I took my place in the line to meet Lincoln.  I was barefooted and held a chipped hat on my breast.  The line was pacing rapidly with everybody bowing graciously to Lincoln

I looked up into his face, saying 'How are you, Old Abe?' My approach and remark attracted his attention.  He grasped me by the arm and with his other hand on my head, he said, 'God bless you, little fellow.'


 Close Window