View single post by Johnny Huma
 Posted: Sat Feb 24th, 2007 03:45 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Johnny Huma
Johnny Huma

Mana: 

Duncan,

I love Gettysburg and go there often. I only live about 3 hrs from it in Central Pa. I have to agree with a lot who are saying stay away.....The events there will be spectacular I am sure but as said before the Burg is just that a Burg. It can take hours to cover a mile of roadway there when the town is booming. I would love to go to a reenactment there and on one occasion made a turn off the Emmitsburg road following the signs to the reenactment grounds. Oh My God was I sorry for that....It took me 2 and 1/2 hours just to bypass the site. Traffic was gridlocked and cars were overheating and I would have paid 10 bucks for a cold Coke it was so hot...When I got thru the mess I never looked back and kept driving to God knew where but came out ok in the end. I think if your going to make that long of a trip to get there you may end up saying "Why did I do this".. Again Gettyburg is my favorite field and love what the Park Service is doing to restore it but pick another time where you can enjoy the park and the Burg itself. Gettysburg is always busy except for the winter months. I love going there in the Fall as the leaves are changing and although still a lot of people there, it does not even come close to the events in July..And 2013 is gonna be the worst..If you do go God bless ya and hope ya enjoy it all...As you say you have been there before so depending on when you visited you probably already know this stuff...

Huma

Close Window