View single post by JDC Duncan
 Posted: Thu Mar 1st, 2007 01:38 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
JDC Duncan
$user_title

Mana: 

Friends:

Last weekend I looked the HQ at Fort Concho and saw a lady and boy on the parade ground with a metal detector.  Now, the fort stands right in the middle of town, and has been picked over since it was abandoned in 1889, so finding and removing an artifact is remote.  But rules are rules and so forth, and I saw an opportunity.

I walked out and greeted our visitors, gently explaining that Fort Concho is a National Historic Site and the rules about Ladies & Boys On The Parade Ground With Metal Detectors.

I then went on to explain to the boy why this was important - history, archaeology, putting together the story of what happened at a site from the evidence left in the ground and so forth - to not just tell him not to do something but why.

And was this young man smart !  I stood with him and his mother on the Parade Ground for a half-hour, discussing where in the area he could search for things, what he might find, what to do if he did find something that might be important, both at an Historic Site and on private land.  Luckily, I had one more answer than he had questions, but it was a close thing.

(I'd also like to take this opportunity to publicly thank Miss Susan for the inspiration to get involved with the Docent program at the Fort - altho it is US Cavalry/Buffalo Soldier/Indian War Period, and away from my main area of interset, it's been a wonderful experiance.)

regards,

JDC

Close Window