View single post by younglobo
 Posted: Tue Mar 6th, 2007 06:08 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
younglobo

Mana: 

Found these interesting quotes on the web thought it might pertain to the topic

--- President Harry S. Truman   "But Quantrill and his men were no more bandits than the men on the other side. I've been to reunions of Quantrill's men two or three times. All they were trying to do was protect the property on the Missouri side of the line..."

"...They tried to make my uncle Harrison into an informer, but he wouldn't do it. He was only a boy... They tried to hang him, time and again they tried it, 'stretching his neck', they called it, but he didn't say anything. I think he'd have died before he'd said anything. He's the one I'm named after, and I'm happy to say that there were people...around at the time who said I took after him."
--- President Harry S. Truman
Speaking about what the Kansas "Red Legs" did to his uncle, at age thirteen during the War Between The States.

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible; and when you strike and overcome him never let up in the pursuit so long as your men have strength to follow; for an army routed, if hotly pursued, becomes panic-stricken, and can then be destroyed by half their number. The other rule is, never fight against heavy odds, if by any possible manoeuvering you can hurl you own force on only a part, and that the weakest part, of your enemy and crush it. Such tactics will win every time, and a small army may thus destroy a large one in detail, and repeated victory will make it invincible."
--- Gen. T. J. "Stonewall" Jackson, CSA

"Surrender means that the history of this heroic struggle will be written by the enemy; that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers; will learn from Northern school books their version of the War; will be impressed by all the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors, and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision."
--- General Pat Cleburne, CSA

Close Window