View single post by CleburneFan
 Posted: Mon Mar 12th, 2007 12:47 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Thanks for the great review. I read Wittensberg's book "Rush's Lancers" in January because I really admire Wittenberg's cavalry books. He brings  cavalry expeditions to life. I feel as if I were riding with the cavalry men and suffering with them during hours and days in the saddle often in driving rain, knee high mud or oppressive heat...on half rations to boot.

I don't normally read regimental histories, but did so because of the well-respected author. As it turned out I was not disappointed. It was so interesting to learn how a regiment is formed and how much training, drilling is involved and even training the horses in the case of cavalry. It also shows much of the tedium and discomfort of Civil War cavalry life.

It was also interesting to read about the evolution of the Sixth Lancers as they were divided, went to battle, lost members to injury and disease, changed officers, changed weapons, faced ridicule because of their lances (which they eventually abandoned), and performed with valor and gallantry, finally earning a very hard-won respect.  

I really enjoyed this book and have only one complaint. The print is so darned tiny and pale. It was a real challenge to my 63-year old eyes to read such a print style. I truly do understand why it was necessary to use such fine print because the book would be 1000 pages long otherwise, it is so packed with information. But I did have to keep my reading sessions short on this book in order to save my eyes.

This is an excellent book for those who have an interest in cavalry operations and the workings of a cavalry regiment. It adds new perspective and depth to what I know about Civil War cavalry.

A final note, I would LOVE too see Wittenberg write a book on Nathan Bedford Forrest. I'll wait as long as it takes.

Close Window