View single post by Eric Wittenberg
 Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2007 01:47 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Eric Wittenberg

Mana: 

Guys,

Many thanks for the kind words about the history of the Lancers.

That particular project was truly a labor of love for me, more so than any other book I have ever written.  There is more of me, more of my heart and soul, in that book than anything else I have ever written.  I can only hope that I did the boys justice.  If I did, it's as a tribute to them and not to me.

As you say, it's well known that I am not an admirer of Nathan Bedford Forrest.  I genuinely believe that a major part of his success is that he was never up against the best that the Union had until the fight with James Harrison Wilson at Selma.  I suspect that had he been up against the first team--instead of the junior varsity--he would not have had such a gaudy won-lost record.  The truth is that he had no real interest in the traditional roles of cavalry, and, with the exception of the retreat from Nashville, demonstrated absolutely no skill at those traditional roles. 

Sad to say, but you ought not be expecting a book on Forrest by me, because it won't be happening.  But I REALLY appreciate the vote of confidence.  It means a lot to me.

Eric

Close Window