View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Sun Dec 11th, 2005 05:53 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Well, by now it is the 11th as I type this and the article that sparked my posting this thread was in yesterday's paper. Though the paper did get the article from The Washington Post so for all I know folks reading the post may have read the article several days ago. The article in question was titled I'm dreaming of a blue and gray Christmas: Civil War Santa steps into the 21st century by Linda Wheeler and deals with a Kevin Rawlings, who plays Santa based on a Thomas Nast drawing of Santa in a Union costume. But beyond just playing Santa, Rawlings is also the author of We Were Marching on Christmas Day: A History and Chronicle of Christmas During the Civil War. The article does give some idea of what Christmas would have been like and does mention the National Museum of Civil War Medicine in Frederick, Md does an exhibt concerning Christmas during the war. But the book is something that really intrests me as it is mentioned that it is currently out of print but a revised edition is to be published. I'm just wondering, as this is the first I've ever heard of the book, if anyone here has it and what they think of it.

Close Window