View single post by Texas Defender
 Posted: Mon Apr 2nd, 2007 08:33 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Ole, it seems that we are narrowing our areas of difference. Perhaps we can do so further.

The first area concerns northern resentment of the 3/5 Compromise giving slave states more representation in the House (and thus more power in presidential elections, especially if they promise to be close ones). You state that you've never heard of northern complaints over this additional representation. I have. It was during the timeframe of the Missouri Compromise. But until I am enterprising enough to track down a credible source, I cannot prove it to you.

The second area concerns the viability of the slave system in the territories. I know very little about agriculture. But I can present proof that cotton did indeed grow in Kansas during the war. (and still does.) It seems that if a reliable southern supply had not been restored, more would be grown today in Kansas than is at present.

Cool Things, Cotton Gin, Kansas State Historical Society

Surely, the slave system worked well enough in neighboring Missouri. According to the 1860 Census, there were still 114,931 slaves in Missouri then. Cotton is still grown there as well.

Going beyond the point of crops, I would maintain that even if the slave system gave little advantage in the territories that would become states, the south would still want it to be legal there. Their friends and allies could then provide them with more senators, House members, and thus electoral votes, etc.

In the third area, the balance of power, you state that it didn't become delicate until late in the game. I completely agree on this point. In the early days of the Republic, the south easily maintained its position of power in the federal government. As power began to slip away, many southerners developed a paranoia about being surrounded by enemies who would vote to destroy their interests. It is greatly unsettling to people who are used to being in control to feel such control slipping from their hands.

Close Window