View single post by indy19th
 Posted: Wed Apr 4th, 2007 12:59 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
indy19th
$user_title

Mana: 

remember the 54th wrote: In a roundabout way, one could argue that if race-based discrimination didn't exist, there wouldn't be so many people leaving anti apology posts on this board.

One could argue that and one would probably be wrong. If a former slave posts here, I might offer my regrets to them as to what they may have suffered through. I'm not trying to be facetious. At least when Japan and Germany apologized, there were still people around who had lived through it.

Beyond that, I would hope that the current gov't in place is more concerned about current events than making hollow apologies to no one in particular. Some may see no harm in making an apology. I see it as a can of worms.

For some people, an apology is not enough, nor will anything be enough.

Japan

However, the official apologies are widely viewed as inadequate by many of the survivors of such crimes and/or the families of dead victims. The subject of official apologies is controversial as many people aggrieved by alleged Japanese war crimes maintain that no apology has been issued for particular acts and/or that the Japanese government has merely expressed "regret" or "remorse".[9] On 2 March 2007, the issue was raised again by Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe, in which he denied that the military had forced women into sexual slavery during World War II. He stated, "The fact is, there is no evidence to prove there was coercion." Before he spoke, a group of Liberal Democratic Party lawmakers also sought to revise Yohei Kono's 1993 apology to former comfort women.[36][37]

However, it provoked negative reaction from Asian and Western countries, for example, The New York Times editorial on March 6, “These were not commercial brothels. Force, explicit and implicit, was used in recruiting these women. What went on in them was serial rape, not prostitution. The Japanese Army’s involvement is documented in the government’s own defense files. A senior Tokyo official more or less apologized for this horrific crime in 1993. … Yesterday, he grudgingly acknowledged the 1993 quasi apology, but only as part of a pre-emptive declaration that his government would reject the call, now pending in the United States Congress, for an official apology. America isn’t the only country interested in seeing Japan belatedly accept full responsibility. Korea and China are also infuriated by years of Japanese equivocations over the issue.”[38]

German Nazis propaganda also justified their persecution of the Jewish people on the paranoic ground that the Jewish constantly oppressed and extorted Germans fermenting anti-German sentiment.

Some in Japan have asserted that what is being demanded is that the Japanese Prime Minister and/or the Emperor perform dogeza, in which an individual kneels and bows his head to the ground — a high form of apology in east Asian societies that Japan appears unwilling to do.[39]

Some point to an act by German Chancellor Willy Brandt, who knelt at a monument to the Jewish victims of the Warsaw Ghetto, in 1970, as an example of a powerful and effective act of apology and reconciliation, although not everyone agrees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_war_crimes

Close Window