View single post by Fuller
 Posted: Wed Apr 4th, 2007 05:37 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

It's my opinion that we should instead turn our energy to the future and of world issues such as Darfur and the genocide that is presently involving the people there.  Slavery was a horrible inhumane and unimaginable life that was forced upon a great many. I have ancestors who fought on those battlegrounds and I can feel many emotions when I really think about it.  That means my black neighbor might very well have ancestors who were slaves not too many generations ago.  There are emotions that are still raw certainly for them too.  I would like to think that America in general views the history of slavery as wrong.  Remember the energy Dr. Martin Luther possessed?  His focus was always forward.  He never viewed himself as a victim.  Any truly strong person that comes to mind never does.  He took what knowledge and passion he had and pressed on.  It's called "advancement."  Is an apology totally out of the question?  No.  If that would give opportunity for a nation and even individuals to be stronger then I am all for it.   Is the thought of an apology out of the question to some because it shows a form of weakness?  And if an apology is given, I would question those who have their ear stuck out waiting for a response.  I am just wondering who would be writting this speech that would need to be very delicately thought through?  Who would be delivering it?  We also need to remember that it's not so much an apology but the recognition of the wrongs that were committed.  It's not just one person standing at the mic taking blame, nor those of us that personally had nothing to do with it.  It is validation being given to those who were the victims.  I still have to go back to my first sentance though.   

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"   Dr. Martin Luther King

Fuller

Close Window