View single post by javal1
 Posted: Wed Apr 11th, 2007 02:46 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

I'm beginning to think that part of the problem (at least in my mind) is that in the context of slavery, some look at it as a static institution, and others are talking about the attitude that allowed it. In other words some see it as a historical entity that ended in the year XXXX. Therefore it's delegated into the "over and done with" bin.

When I think of an apology for slavery, I really see it as apologizing, as a nation, for the attitude, the mores and the beliefs that allowed it in the first place. For me it wouldn't just be an apology directed at 19th century folks. The attitude which allowed slavery also allowed Jim Crow laws, segregation, and the brutality of the 1960's. All of these things were government sanctioned, and that's why I think a national apology is deserved. I just can't see slavery as an isolated thing. Not saying I'm right and others are wrong. Just trying to explain where I'm at. Guess if I had my way, it would be an apology for government sanctioned bigotry rather than an apology for slavery. Just rambling....

Close Window