View single post by sjh
 Posted: Fri Apr 13th, 2007 01:29 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
sjh

Mana: 

I need some advice as my 8 year old daughter is studying the Civil War at school.  To start, I am thrilled that the teacher, who has visited many battlefields herself, is even going over this with a bunch of soon to be 3rd graders. I give her all the credit as it has sparked some interest on the part of my child in the CW.

However, my daughter clearly thinks (in her black and white mind, and I am not referring to race!) that Southerners were all bad and kind of cheered when Southern soldiers were shot while we watched a few clips from a CW show recently. I tried to explain to her that Southerners were not necessarily evil, and she reminded me that her very lovely best friend who comes over to our house to play (I collect CW prints and was somewhat nervous the first time she came over as I have several Southern prints with the Conf. battle flag on them) is African-American and possibly would have been a slave. I had no comeback at the moment.

While I don't condone the thinking of those who favored the perpetuation of slavery and realize that it was the primary cause of hostilities, I know that not everyone went to war for the South to perpetuate slavery (and no, I am not a "Northern Lost Causer").  It does create a bit of a quandry when talking to an 8 year old girl.

I have been a student of the CW for many years having struck an interest in it when I was about 10 years old. But this is a tough one for me. Any advice to offer? I will sit back and wait...

Steve

Close Window