View single post by Albert Sailhorst
 Posted: Tue Apr 24th, 2007 06:38 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

I, personally, have no fight or criticism of the History Channel. I like most of the shows they air.

It's true, when writting history, it is difficult to portray all aspects of the subject so that it is all things to all people. This difficulty is enlarged when it is packed into an hour or two hour television program. Some things, due to time constraints, must naturally be cut out or otherwise overlooked.

Having said that, I wish to clarify and rationalize my earlier criticism of the "Sherman/Grant" vs "'Cump/Sam" aspect. I, personally, would have liked to see more familiarity in their name calling. But, not only was the show written for Civil War buffs/historians (like us on this comment board), it was also written for those with limited knowledge and/or perhaps a limited budding knowledge about the war in detail; hence the simplicity of using last names.

I like the History Channel and wish they would produce more Civil War related programming. If they do that, then I'll be less likely to ignore some of their shows and instead watch A&E re-runs of "The Sopranos".

Close Window