View single post by Kent Nielsen
 Posted: Tue Apr 24th, 2007 08:53 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Kent Nielsen

Mana: 

indy19th wrote: David White wrote: So did Sherman say "War is cruelty and you cannot reform it" or "War is cruelty and you cannot refine it."  Or did he say both? 

I was hoping for a discussion of why he didn't go after Augusta.  They mentioned he was trying to destroy the transportation net for the powder works but I'd rather hit the center of gravity and destroy the mill itself versus its transportation net.  That was the important target he missed versus freeing prisoners at Andersonville who he would have had to feed and transport, complicating an already complicated problem for just the army.

I caught the Sherman quote too. I always knew it as "War is cruelty and you cannot refine it", not the "reform" that they used.

Augusta? I thought he didn't go there because he hated golf. Maybe that was too simplistic to bother to include within the limited confines of a 94-100 minute program.

Hi :)  My understanding is that he used the word "refine". The producers/writers for the show might have decided that reform would be easier to understand by a 21st Century audience.  As far as Sherman.s decision NOT to march on Augusta, he never intended to. He wanted to threaten it as well as Macon so that the Confederates would divide their available troops to defend them and NOT be able to unite those troops to threaten or hinder his advance. I was wondeing if and when the program will be available on DVC or videocassette since we don't get the History Channel in Canada. :X

Close Window