View single post by calcav
 Posted: Sat Apr 28th, 2007 07:48 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
calcav

Mana: 

To be quite honest I thought the program was excellent. Did it cover everything? Nope! If the show lasted 24 hours a day for the next year it could not cover the whole story. Could they have concentrated on other parts of the campaigns that were only touched upon? Of course, but it did not need to.

Documentaries, no matter what the subject, do not tell the whole story. Ever. Nor should they. If the filmmaker is smart and knows his business he does not even try. The idea is to present enough factual information to provoke the viewer to study/research/discuss the topic in greater detail.

For those that don’t know I am a Park Ranger. A few weeks ago I gave a two hour walking tour of the Hornet’s Nest at Shiloh to about forty visitors. (Our fellow poster Swamp Shadow was in the group!) I talked loud and I talked fast and in two hours I barely scratched the surface about what happened in that one small corner of the battlefield. I couldn’t tell it all, nor did I try. Was I effective in my interpretation? Ask our friend Swamp Shadow.

There are a few quotes that I consider before giving my programs:

“Do not try to satisfy your vanity by teaching a great many things. Awaken people’s curiosity. It is enough to open minds; do not overload them. Put there just a spark. If there is some good inflammable stuff, it will catch fire.” Anatole France.

“The chief aim of interpretation is not instruction, but provocation.” Freeman Tilden.

“The mind is a flame to be kindled, not a vessel to be filled.” Plutarch.

The fact that we are debating the show and looking deeper into the books to prove our points is evidence that the show was a success. Well done History Channel! Give us more of the same.

Close Window