View single post by CleburneFan
 Posted: Sun Apr 29th, 2007 03:38 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Another book along the same line as "Class of 1846" is the thoroughly entertaining and informative "Last in Their Class: Custer, Pickett and the Goats of West Point'" by Jerome S. Robbins, 2006. 

This book tells about the generals who graduated last their class and how, despite this ranking, went on to achieve immortality in some cases. Often, in fact, they did better than some of their classmates who ranked much higher!

Their deeds are not only in the Civil War, but in the Seminole Indian Wars, the Mexican War and in various conflicts after the Civil War. Though several generals are discussed in detail, the most attention is paid to Custer and to Pickett. But I leanrned much that I didn't know about cadet life, leisure, frustrations and chalenges at West Point.

I really enjoyed this book, even thougfh I had thought it was only about Custer and Pickett when I bought it. At first I was disappointed, but then I was really pleased to learn so much about life at West Point and even to learn that being the very last in the class was seen as a type of honor.

Last edited on Mon Apr 30th, 2007 04:38 pm by CleburneFan

Close Window