View single post by Johan Steele
 Posted: Mon Apr 30th, 2007 10:35 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Typical bayonet scabbards were leather; though IIRC some imported sabre bayonets used  wood w/ a leather covering.

Sword scabbards were typically steel, again though some private purchase scabbards were wood w/ a leather covering.

The enlisted mans Cav sword scabbard was steel; enlisted infantry bayonet scabard was leather w/ a brass tip.

I just took a minute to thumb through Echoes of Glory & saw nothing about any kind of scabbard made of either gutta percha or india rubber.  That includes naval & marine gear.

I just don't see either Lil Mac or Johnston using veiled innuendo... not really the type of men to do such.

I myself wonder; might you have perhaps caught a blooper?  It is also a possibility that the two were talking in hypotheticals.  Neither Gutta Percha or India Rubber would stand up to abuse anywhere near as well as bridle leather... but as both were a relatively new commodity the men might have been indulging in a bit of their own what if's.

Just my two cents.  If you find out anything please let me know as this has my curiousity up a touch as well.

Close Window