View single post by JoanieReb
 Posted: Thu May 10th, 2007 05:00 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Was it pride in their army that they were invisible, naieviety, etc. Would like to hear comments. Facing these 2 locations myself, I don't know how I would have summoned up the courage
Doc,

The one thing that I always hear pointed out as a major contributing factor regarding this is that many of the soldiers joined up together from the same village or county, and thus were in their home units with brothers, cousins, fathers, sons, friends, etc.

So, the emotional bonds and bonds of pride kept the individual from breaking down and running away.  If your brother/cousin/father/friend goes, you go.

That is, of course, just one simple and obvious factor.  Like you, I wonder about the subtleties.

One thing I do wonder about:  I've frequently read individual accounts that said,  the soldier was afraid until he started moving forward, then just got caught up in it and forgot to fear.  I've read this so often, it has really made me wonder if these men just had more "fight" in them than the average American does today.  I keep reading about normally mild-mannered men "getting their blood up" and being transformed in battle into something that was then seen as glorious and noble, but that our society might not only shy away from glorifying, but also discourage today.  

Close Window