View single post by JoanieReb
 Posted: Mon May 14th, 2007 06:57 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
JoanieReb

Mana: 

I've read Gettysburg, an alternative fiction work (first in a trilogy) by Newt Gingrich and William R. Forstchen  - twice!   I guess the word "twice" says it all about how much I enjoyed that book - Because, as Miss Susan always says, "so many books, so little time".

I thought it was very thought-provoking; it had really wonderful character reseach and development; and it was very-well researched historically.

I'll add this disclaimer from and online review, because I was a bit taken aback at the idea of reading a historical novel by Newt:

"Don't let Newt Gingrich's political beliefs and controversial Congressional tenure taint your view of this novel (witness several scathing reviews at Amazon.com by people full of political vitriol who probably haven't even read the book). Gettysburg is as much the work of William R. Forstchen (who has written a number of novels and stories on his own), but it also highlights Newt Gingrich as storyteller and historian."

I'd been thinking it would be nice to discuss CW fiction/alternative history around here.

Thank you, Younglobo and Susan.

(PS - is that you in your avatar, Susan?)

Last edited on Mon May 14th, 2007 07:06 pm by JoanieReb

Close Window