View single post by GenHood
 Posted: Wed Jun 6th, 2007 08:21 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
GenHood

Mana: 

Whew, it's tough not to make a long, rambling list!  The Tennesse Ernie Ford previously mentioned is a favorite, along with "The Civil War: It's Music and it's Sounds" by Frederick Fennell and the Eastman Wind Ensemble.  It's a great history lesson in the music, bugle calls, drum rolls, rifles and artillery, and it gives a nice little summary of the major battles.

Waylon Jennings "An Old Unreconstructed" is a great song.  Whenever I hear Elvis sing "Love Me Tender" the words to "Aura Lee" run through my head.

Bobby Horton, however, is my favorite.  Love listening to the "Vicksburg" CD on a quiet Sunday morning.  "Root Hog or Die" on CSA vol 3 is a fave, as is"Richmond is a Hard Road to Travel" on vol 4.  "Yellow Rose of Texas" of course, (the Gallant Hood of Texas), "Rose of Alabama" I could probably really ramble here.  

Of course, "Dixie" "Battle Hymn of the Republic" "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" "Bonnie Blue Flag" and Garryowen" are standards I love.  Also have to mention the sdtk to "Gettysburg" which was a Fathers Day gift from my daughter several years ago.  Really enjoy that one too!

Close Window