View single post by PvtClewell
 Posted: Thu Jun 14th, 2007 09:01 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Hey y'all,

Thought you might enjoy this.

I haven't yet followed through on the research, but my late uncle Ed Clewell left me a 52-page regimental of the 153rd Pennsylvania Volunteers, printed in Easton, Pa., in 1863. The binding is separating and some of the pages are not only yellowed, but worm eaten. It has a musty odor, but it smells of history.

At any rate, Clewell is not a particularly common name, and the unit was raised in Northampton County, which is right next to Lehigh County, which is where Allentown is located (and where I was born). Given those parameters, I feel fairly certain I can draw a lineage to the Clewells (my mother's sister married Ed Clewell).

Listed in the regimental roster, in Co. A, First Brigade, First Division, are privates Sylvester Clewell, William Clewell and Albert Clewell. Interestingly enough, the name Clewell is spelled "Clowell" in the book. But if you go to the Pennsylvania Monument in Gettysburg, which lists the names of every soldier who served in the battle from Pennsylvania, the very same names are spelled "Clewell." Go figure.

So I did the easy research. The 153rd was a nine-month regiment which belonged to O.O. Howard's 11th Corps. That, of course, humbled me. Their two major engagements were Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. In fact, they were mustered out shortly after G-burg on July 24.

The 153rd, in fact, was one of the first units struck by Jackson's flank attack at C-ville. I've read where the 153rd got off between two to three vollies before skedaddling in front of Stonewall.

At G-burg, they were posted on top of Barlow's Knoll (more correctly, Blocher's Knoll) before they were routed by Early's boys. The unit later reorganized in the defense of East Cemetery Hill, where they gave ground once again on the evening of July 2.

Sigh.

Barlow's Knoll, by the way, has a monument to the 153rd, which is where I first learned that a regiment had been formed out of Northampton County.

I console myself by saying the 11th Corps boys suffered under poor leadership and never really did have good defensive ground to cover, particularly at G-burg.

The Clewell's survived the war, as far as I can tell. They are not listed as killed or missing in the regimental. One of these days, I'll do the complete geneology, but it's not easy to do from North Carolina.

Close Window