View single post by kj3553
 Posted: Wed Jun 20th, 2007 04:40 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

I must admit that I was secretly hoping for an Earnhardt/Childress deal, but in looking back, I can see where Junior wishes to be his own man, to step out from Daddy's shadow. As Junior said, racing for Childress is his father's legacy, and I can appreciate his not wanting to compete with that for many reasons, some of them no doubt very personal.

All right, so I'm not a Gordon fan. Nor am I a Johnson fan. I enjoy booing them, and wishing them an ill-handling car, or a flat tire at an inopportune time. At the same time, they are winners. Love 'em or hate 'em, you can't take that away from either of them.

Hendrick's got the winningest team these days. Junior wants to find out if he really has "the right stuff" to be a championship. If I were in his place, going to Hendrick would have been a no brainer. That they have a connection that goes back many years doesn't hurt, either.

When I watched the press conference, and saw the look of sheer joy on Dale's face, I said to myself, "If he's happy, then I'm happy for him."

As the old saying goes, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. So I'm waiting for next year's Daytona 500, looking forward to seeing a #24, #48 and (hopefully) #8 hookup that leads Junior to the front of the pack. I'll cheer for the first two only so long as they help Junior to the front; after that, all bets are off. They can cut a tire, run out of gas, or otherwise mess up, leaving Junior in Victory Circle.

Close Window