View single post by JoanieReb
 Posted: Fri Jun 22nd, 2007 01:13 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
JoanieReb

Mana: 

I have spent a lot time, personally, comparing the ways that both General Ewell and General Hood "came back" after each lost a leg.  Much is written about both men's commands after each was so mutilated, and how each coped.  Hood became extremely reckless, Ewell too timid, by many historian's accounts. 

It has always struck me as interesting that Ewell had FINALLY married the love of his life; while Hood was still persuing  (and ultimately disappointed in persuing) his Great Love in Life (was it "Sallie 'Buck' Preston"? I'm at work, no references handy...)

Of course, there were many other factors in each man's upbringing and personality that would explain why, once severely injured and taking opiates (and in JBH's case, alcohal) regularly to subdue the pain, that their short-comings as commanding generals might be accentuated.

Then, of course, it struck me that we might as well include Pickett  (oops - I'm editing, I meant Sickles, Thank you Pvt. Clewell - see posting below). He was a Yankee, and I think he carried his "pickled" amputated leg around with him, and was a notorious lover until the day he died....

I'm not so interested in Pickett (oops I mean Sickles, Thank you Pvt. Clewell - see posting below), but might as well bring an interesting Yankee into it.

Just wondered, has anyone besides me wondered about  "The Men With Lost Legs": their personal responses to being amputees,  and the medicinal effects of treating the pain besides me?

Last edited on Fri Jun 22nd, 2007 03:41 am by JoanieReb

Close Window