View single post by ancatholam
 Posted: Mon Jan 30th, 2006 06:24 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
ancatholam

Mana: 

Kent and David,

Thanks for your replies, when I said a counter attack I meant an immediate counter attack.  Burnside crossed under the cover of darkness so why couldn't Lee; you also have to take into account that the Union were in disarray with rock bottom morale immediately after the battle.  I agree to attack in broad day light would have been a schoolboy error.  I also agree that Lee was a proactive General and that he was perhaps too proactive at times, but is it not also true that he could have learnt some lessons, in that:

a) As he had far less men at his disposal than the Union and therefore couldn't afford to keep loosing so many that he should have changed from offensive actions to defensive at some stage during the war.

b)  He should have realised (as he relied on the press for most of his information) that public perception (Southern) had changed and they no longer (around about post Chancellorsville) wanted brave head on attacks looking for the "total victory" style battle and in fact really wanted defensive battles to spare the men.

Am I being unfair to General Robert E Lee?

Going back to my original question of "What did Lee hope to gain by staying around Fredericksburg after his victory?"

I think, Kent, you are saying that he was looking for Burnside to attack again in the same spot so that he could inflict more casualties.  If this is so, then it goes against what I think Lee is about, in that he was always looking to end the war with one major decisive battle and a rerun of Fredericksburg would not have achieved that, unless he could have countered.

What do you think guys?

Close Window