View single post by JoanieReb
 Posted: Tue Jul 10th, 2007 05:29 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Good stuff, Thanks, Ole -

Traditionally, I have always thought as you say in your first two points.  Furthermore, I tend to think that the battle was lost for The South on the first day, when they failed to secure the good ground.  But I am so stuck in my way of thinking, I need take it to the next level now.

I'm glad to see someone bring up the Union Mills/Pipe Creek argument.  I was facing the daunting task of trying to figure out just WHERE that would fit in.  I vascillate.  Would Meade really have left the battle at G-burg and repaired to his chosen ground?  I honestly don't think so!  It's been awhile, but it would have been all too logical a thing to do:shock::cool:.  If I recall, it also would have brought him closer to his base of supplies, which I think was at Westchester or some such "West" -starting place?  Am somewhat uncertain there....

It's been a couple of years since I played this one out on the maps.  Darn, now I want all my books out of their boxes and in battle formation!

Actually, I like your strategy:  rest, then breakfast, the best....That's some damn-fine Armchair General strategy right there.  Until the bugle calls, then.....

Last edited on Tue Jul 10th, 2007 05:44 am by JoanieReb

Close Window