View single post by PvtClewell
 Posted: Thu Jul 12th, 2007 11:46 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
PvtClewell

Mana: 

I'm not positive about my timeline here, but I'm thinking the industrial revolution is really picking up steam (so to speak) by the Civil War. I think Bethlehem Steel, for example, was cranking up just in time to armor-plate the Federal coal burning, steam-powered navy (Richmond, for its part, had Tredegar). Ole also mentioned railroads, which were burning coal all across the north (the transcontinental railroad begins ambitious construction in 1863, as if there was no war at all. That blows me away). I'm guessing that most water-powered mills were mostly located in New England (Water is a cheap and abundant resource there) and used primarily for manufacturing textiles and maybe turning the lathes for Springfield rifles.

The more I think about it, the less credence I put in Kegel's book. If the northern coal fields really were a serious war aim of the south, we'd have read about it long before 1996. I think Ole makes a stonger point suggesting that Lee basically wanted to bring the Federals out for a war-ending battle.

Which brings us back to that damn hill again. All this over a little hill...

Close Window