View single post by PvtClewell
 Posted: Sun Jul 15th, 2007 12:37 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
PvtClewell

Mana: 

I finally found that quote from Lee. It comes from David Martin's book 'Gettysburg July 1' and it's on page 563 (it's a huge book, but a great read). Lee is talking to Rev. J. William Jones ad Professor James J. White at Washington College in Lexington, Va., after the war. Martin writes that Jones says "using an emphasis I cannot forget, and bringing his hand down on the table with a force that made things rattle, 'If I had had Stonewall Jackson at Gettysburg, I would have won that fight, and a complete victory there would have given us Washington and Baltimore, if not Philadelphia, and would have established the independence of the Confederacy.'"

The quote is footnoted "as quoted by John B. Gordon, 'Reminicences of the Civil War,' p. 154." (OK, I admit anything Gordon writes is a questionable resource. But you have to figure this interview between the three parties did take place.)

Is Lee, who was there, correct, or is he engaging in counterfactual argument, too (because Jackson isn't there)? The point is, Lee thinks a victory at Gettysburg wins the war.

Close Window