View single post by PvtClewell
 Posted: Tue Jul 17th, 2007 01:07 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
PvtClewell

Mana: 

The other day, as I walked into our local coffee shop, I was wearing one of my Civil War Institute T-shirts. One of my deep-rooted southern buddies sitting at our table proclaimed, "It's not called the Civil War around here. It's the War of Northern Aggression."

Oh boy. Here we go.

"How can that be?" I asked. "You guys fired the first shot."

Sometimes I feel like the only Yankee in all of Tar Heelia.

Anyway, I guess there are a billion names for this war, some of them inspired by regional sympathies. I was brought up in Pennsylvania and was taught in the public school system that it was 'the Civil War.' I still lean that way. Everybody knows what you're talking about when you say 'Civil War' even if they don't agree it's the proper name for the conflict (in their eyes). I sure don't want to tell people that I attend the Institute for the Late Unpleasantness.

The War Between the States really doesn't work for me — sounds like it could be a battle between New Hampshire and Vermont as much as anything else.

War of the Rebellion, War for Secession, War for Southern Independence, the American War of 1861-65 sound like they could work, but they also seem a bit unwieldy to use in casual company — and they take up too much space on a T-shirt.

Just curious — what works for y'all, and why? (This seems like a good time to take a temporary break from that damn hill.)

Close Window