View single post by PvtClewell
 Posted: Wed Jul 18th, 2007 07:05 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Rob,

No, no, no, no, no. I never thought that you thought the post was silly. I really do agree with you that the argument is based in silliness, though. Growing up, I always thought the war was known universally as the Civil War, and when I learned somewhere in my youth that some people preferred different names for it, I thought they were getting a bit too technical about it, if not downright anal. And silly.

I think my southern friends like to needle me about it because I probably appear to be this vulnerable Yankee swimming here in a sea of grits and redeye gravy. But clearly, this debate persists on various levels of intensity, and has since the end of the war itself. I just thought it might be a good thread for some blather on The War the Secessionists Started Interactive Discussion Board. Turns out, it was.

Can't wait to see the World War I name thing, by the way. It blows my mind that they actually called it WWI long before WWII. Apparently, they were not very optimistic, were they? I always thought it was known as The Great War until The Greater War came along.

Last edited on Wed Jul 18th, 2007 08:33 pm by PvtClewell

Close Window