View single post by CleburneFan
 Posted: Wed Jul 18th, 2007 10:50 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I'll throw some additional complexity into the problem of loudness of sound as a factor of distance from the source of the sound.

My guess is that  impressively giant artillery such as Columbiad and Rodman guns would make a deep boom that could be heard far away, further than that of a mortar which, being shorter, probably sounds with a higher-pitched sound in comparison to the Columbiads. Both could deafen a listener standing close by, but as one moves farther away, even a mile or two away, the higher-pitched sound decays to a greater extent. 

It is a situation similar to an electric guitar and an electric bass guitar in which the sound waves of the bass guitar are slower, move in a larger sound wave and can be so strong as to be felt as a rumble in the floor. An electric guitar, in contrast, while very loud up close, has smaller, more shallow sound waves and cannot be heard with the intensity of a bass guitar at a distance without sugnificant decay in the level of sound. 

Another example is the sub-woofer in the tricked out car that pauses at the stop sign on the corner . That sub-woofer shakes the house, but one cannot hear the music or singing, only the sonic boom of the sub-woofer.

My entire thesis, of course, collapses, if it turns out a mortar has a lower-pitched boom than a Columbiad or Rodman gun. I was just theorizing that the longer the barrel of the gun, the lower the frequency of the sound when it fires.

Close Window