View single post by PvtClewell
 Posted: Tue Jul 24th, 2007 01:52 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
PvtClewell

Mana: 

TD,

There are so many dynamics in play here it's almost overwhelming.

First off, my aunt said she would mail me a copy of what she has on the Clewells. The question is whether or not it's legible, because I think it's handwritten. And, of course, there's the worry about how good the actual copied product is. And whether she remembers to actually mail it. We'll see, and I'll keep you posted.

Secondly, I'd like to know if the other Clewells who served with William in the 153rd Pa. are related. Supposedly, they were all recruited out of Northampton County. Are they brothers? Fathers and sons? Cousins? No relation at all?

Thirdly, the fact that both Richard L. and Robert A. are buried in a Moravian cemetery is very interesting to me. Uncle Ed and Aunt Bea are Moravians. I myself am Moravian. My father, between stints as a high school English teacher, was an ordained Moravian minister (making me a dreaded PK). The fact that John David Clewell is buried in Salem Cemetery is extremely interesting, because it abuts God's Acre Cemetery in Old Salem, which is a Moravian community. I can't help but think there is a common thread to be found somewhere in all this. (I noticed the Schoeneck connection, too. If my German serves me correctly, Schoeneck translates into something like 'Pretty Corner').

Moravians are a small Protestant sect, similar, I guess, to Lutherans or Methodists, but I'm not clever enought to detect the differences. The regimental band of the famous 26th NC of Gettysburg fame was composed of Moravians from Winston-Salem. I might ought to check their regimental roster for Clewells.

I always thought the ties between North Carolina and Pennsylvania were unusually tight. Bethlehem, Pa. (where I grew up), and Winston-Salem, NC, were both founded and settled by Moravians. I think the connection has much to do with the colonial Great Warrior Indian Trading Path and the Great Philadelphia Wagon Path (both routes roughly trace current day I-81 from Pa. to Roanoke, then Rte. 220 to Greensboro, then I-85 to Charlotte and on to Georgia.) which essentially tied the two states together. The Bieseckers, Sinks and Everharts that can be found in Bethlehem are also here in Lexington. Daniel Boone's family, for example, migrated from Pennsylvania and settled just a few miles from Lexington on the Yadkin River. Interestingly enough, there are no Clewells in my phone book.

All of this fascinates me. You're a gem, TD. Thanks again.

Close Window