View single post by connyankee
 Posted: Thu Jul 26th, 2007 03:53 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
connyankee

Mana: 

A few years back, I attended the mega-event "Chancellorsville" at Fort Pickett, Virginia.  At about 6 or 7am one morning, we all gathered to watch the Federals storm Marye's Heights.  There were about eight confederate guns atop this hill in front of us and a low, dense fog was surrounding everything.  All of a sudden,  the battle opened with these guns firing one right after the other, as if to say Hello! Good Morning!  Then the musketry started and after a while the woods, back of where we were standing, echoed of all this to the point where the deafening sound was coming from all directions.  Soon after, between the smoke and the fog, you couldn't see anything.  The soldiers looked like slow masses of shadows moving low along the ground.  What an errie sight - damndist thing I ever witnessed.  The ground really did shake and the late September leaves were being rattled off the trees.  Every once in a while, a cannon would belch a sheet of flame about 15-20 feet.

While visiting Gaines's Mill once and walking along Boatswain's Creek, I was reminded of all this while reading a park sign quoting a survivor of that engagement.  It was the loudest encounter that he had personally been in during the entire war, with the sound coming from all directions and making it difficult to tell friend from foe.  This man made it clear that he was very confused.  Weather and terrain seems to have had a lot to do with the magnitude of the sound.  Sometimes, they couln't hear a fight nearby at all, due to the phenomena known as accoustic shadow.

:) connyankee

Close Window