View single post by booklover
 Posted: Sat Jul 28th, 2007 04:20 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
booklover

Mana: 

My interest in the war came about more so through my exposure to Lincoln. Living in Illinois, it is a state law that every school child must travel to Springfield at least once in their life (OK, it's not, but I like to say that). Shortly after my father died, my mother was trying to figure out a career that would let her raise her children (me at age 5, my oldest sister at age 13, two others in -between) and stay at home. She chose to go to beauty school. She had to take her state boards in Springfield so she brought me home a wooden bust of Lincoln that I still have to this day. The next year we went back to Springfield and visited all the Lincoln sites and New Salem. After that I began to read whatever I could on Lincoln. Another sister bought me the Golden Book history of the Civil War, which I also still have. From there, I started to read everything I could until my interest shifted to World War II. After college, I picked up McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom and realized what I had been missing. I wrote McPherson a letter telling him how much I loved the book. He wrote back and I have his reply hanging on my wall, below a letter written to me by C. Vann Woodward, whom I asked about the advisability of going to graduate school. From there the fever came back. In 1996 I started to research the life of Everton Conger and from that point on, my Civil War and Lincoln library has grown from about 15 books to well over 500.

Best
Rob

Close Window