View single post by PvtClewell
 Posted: Mon Jul 30th, 2007 12:34 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Thanks Ole, but Sears did all the work.

I guess what I don't get is why Hill orders the heavy reconnaisance despite Pettigrew giving him reports the day before of seeing Union cavalry in town. Heth, Hill, et al, didn't believe the reports. Maybe that's what prompts the move toward Gettysburg. But I have to fiigure if there's cavarly around, it's a good bet it's not militia. And if it is cavalry, it's probably the AofP.

I read somewhere (don't ask me where. I'm really overextended on my sources right now) that Lee was really surprised by reports (earlier from Henry Thomas Harrison, the spy, and later, Pettigrew) that the AofP was across the Potomac. I know Stuart's off on a glory ride, but Lee still has cavalry with Grumble Jones, Albert Jenkins, John Imboden and Beverly Robertson. Why they aren't used properly in Stuart's absence is beyond me.

I also read that when Meade took over command of the AofP on June 28, he put wheels on a historically slow-moving army, which is one reason Lee was surprised by the Union's presence. A good case in point is Sedgewick's 6th Corps, which moved 35 miles in 19 hours to reach the field by the evening of July 2. Wow. That's Jackson-like and truly a feat of arms. The 6th Corps, according to Sears, was huge and represented one-fifth of Meade's total available infantry, so it's arrival on the field when it did was critical.

Close Window