View single post by PvtClewell
 Posted: Mon Jul 30th, 2007 11:32 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
PvtClewell

Mana: 

KO,

I'm guessing that in 19th century rural America, roads is roads.

Sedgewick was in Manchester, near the right flank of what would have been the Pipe Creek line, on July 1. Under Meade's orders, he began marching the 6th Corps at 10 p.m., so a lot of the marching was done by night, and most of the 19 hours was continuous marching.

Here's what Sears writes:
"...after he (Meade) learned the dimensions of the fighting on the 1st, he had Sedgewick change his route to the more direct Baltimore Pike. This required a certain amount of backtracking in the darkness which, as the historian of the 5th Maine put it, 'caused much strong language.' Men remembered the night march as a strange and eerie experience...James L. Bowen, 37th Massachusetts, wrote that 'the step which has been light becomes heavy and mechanical, and the soldiers are transformed into mere machines, to plod on steadily as possible all the interminable night...the men as they walk are like those moving in a dream."

I hate to keep quoting Sears, but his book was published in 2003 and is probably the most current popular scholarship on Gettysburg out there right now. He's very readable and I highly recommend it.

Edwin Coddington's 'Gettysburg Campaign: A Study in Command' was published in 1963 and to this day, I believe, is still the basis for the Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guide exams. Coddington was a professor at Lafayette University in Easton and was a heavy smoker. He died of lung cancer about the time his book was published, I believe. He, too, is highly readable and I recommend his work as well.

Last edited on Mon Jul 30th, 2007 12:01 pm by PvtClewell

Close Window