View single post by CleburneFan
 Posted: Sun Aug 26th, 2007 11:17 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I read the book last year. The complete name is "Last in Their Class:Custer, Pickett and the Goats of West Point". When I saw the book's jacket, I believed the book was mainly about Pickett and Custer.  It does deal at length with them but several other interesting graduates are covered also.

I learned a lot about life at West Point in those days and I had never heard of Benny Havens. I also didn't know that those with last in class ranking were called "goats," almost a badge of honor to some. 

Another thing I was expecting was concentration on the Civil War, but the book revealed much about the Mexican War also. I haven't paid as much attention to the Mexican War as I should have given that so many important leaders on both sides of the Civil War served in the Mexican War along side each other. Actually, come to find out, I discovered the Mexcian War is quite interesting. I am surprised that more hasn't been written about the actual battles and the participants of this war.

I really enjoyed this book. It deals with a topic--life at West Point in the mid-1800s--and what became of the graduates after their training. It also gives hope to anyone who finsihes last in any setting. One can become distinguished at a later time.

Close Window