View single post by ArtorBart
 Posted: Fri Sep 7th, 2007 03:54 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
ArtorBart

Mana: 

I, too, am saddened by the split up of the collection of the MoC. However, there is the possibility that each of the three sections may eventually grow into large, independent collections, so one day there could be three "whole" ACW museums instead of only one.

I don't think Appomattox was the best choice; what's wrong with Petersburg? Maybe too much competition from Pamplin Park?

The Confederate White House will certainly be victimized next by the growth of VCU Hospital, just as the MoC was. I cannot believe museum leadership didn't force the hospital/VCU to grant some kind of concession to the museum -- big deal, the univ. let you park free in the hospital garage! -- like monetary compensation for lost revenue due to the "blocking" of the museum.

Will admit that a visit to Chancellorsville will be augmented by the museum; so a visitor will have Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, The Wilderness, The Stonewall Jackson Shrine, Spotsylvania, AND THE MUSEUM to see during a stop in that area -- the tourist certainly will need more than a few hours to take in the sights; they'll have to stay OVERNIGHT in a local motel, dine in an area restaurant as well, buy books and souvenirs at the musuem. Can anybody say "increased revenues"?

Fingers crossed!

ArtorBart

Close Window