View single post by PvtClewell
 Posted: Wed Sep 12th, 2007 01:08 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Doc, KO,

In my previous life as a sportswriter here in Lexington, I had the privilege of covering the U.S. Open in Pinehurst in both 1999 and 2005. One of the perks was to play in the media tournament, so I got to play Pinehurst No. 2 twice. I'm not a long hitter, shot a 111 in '99 and a 103 in '05, and was happy to do it.

Those camelback greens were extremely fast and nearly impossible to putt on. I might have broke a 100 in '05 except for the par 3 that I got an 8 on.

Got to play Pine Needles in 2001 in the U.S. Women's Open media event, shot a 92 and was tickled with that. It was a much more fair course for a golfer of my ability than Pinehurst No. 2. Might have broke 90 with a little luck. I'm a bogey golfer anyway.

I live for the majors but I have no problem with the FedEx Cup. It's bringing a measure of excitement to the end of the season and people are talking about golf in football season. Could be a great Tiger-Phil showdown this week.

Covered about 20 Greater Greensboro Opens over the years and got to play Forest Oaks once. We played captain's choice in that one.

Since I retired in December, my plan was to play golf at least twice a week. But reality hit and I've played only once since I've retired. What's wrong with that picture?

Close Window