View single post by PvtClewell
 Posted: Thu Sep 13th, 2007 12:35 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Fore!!!

Coddington's 'The Gettysburg Campaign, A Study in Command' is still regarded by many as the definitive overview of the battle and the last I heard was still the basis on which the testing for the Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guides is based, even though it was published in 1963. Very readable.

Any Gettysburg book by Harry Pfanz is superior, although I found 'Gettysburg, The Second Day,' to be a scholarly and difficult read. But his 'Gettysburg — The First Day' and 'Gettysburg, Culp's Hill and Cemetery Hill' are very readable. I refer to him constantly.

Sears' 'Gettysburg' is also very readable and he offers subjective insight as well, if you like that sort of thing. I also refer to him a lot.

I also enjoyed David Martin's 'Gettysburg July 1', although my first edition (1995) had numerous typos. Makes you wonder about the editing.

Gordon Rhea's series on the Overland Campaign is well written and for me, at least, brings a difficult-to-follow portion of the war into a little clearer focus, although I guess I'll never truly get a grip on the entire campaign.

Frank O'Reilly's 'The Fredericksburg Campaign' and George Rable's 'Fredericksburg! Fredericksburg!' are both probably state of the scholarship on that battle, although I thought Rable was a little more readable.

For some reason I don't have Sears' 'Landscape Turned Red' in my library, although I do remember reading it. It's probably the best account of Antietam. His 'Chancellorsville' is also well done, as is Ernest Fergurson's 'Chancellorsville 1863.'

John Hennessey's 'Return to Bull Run' might be the best out there on Second Manassas. A good read.

Alan Nolan's 'Iron Brigade' is supposedly one of the best 100 books written on the Civil War. I liked it. Not bad for a lawyer.

Funny. I don't seem to have any books on the western theater. Hmm...

Close Window