View single post by PvtClewell
 Posted: Thu Sep 20th, 2007 04:05 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Our fair city is still in the process of establishing its guidelines. We pretty much know we're not Williamsburg or Savannah, so I suspect the guidelines will not be all that restrictive. We've already been informed that the selection of paint colors from which we can choose to paint our houses is fairly liberal.

People who move into established historic districts probably understand what they're getting into. The thing about our case is that many residents within the district have already been living here for many years, and because this is something new for the town, it's a journey into the unknown. Some folks just don't like change, period. They also think this will cost them $$$$.

And we do have at least one curmudgeon on our street whose house could be a showplace within the district. He's lived there for nearly 40 years in a beautiful 3,500-sq. ft. two-story brick house with a leaky roof, some attic windows that are broken, paint that has been peeling off the trim and a yard that is barely landscaped. Health department arrived once for an inspection because of a rodent problem. But, of course, nobody's going to tell him what to do with his house. Sigh. Takes all kinds, I guess.

We still have a series of meetings ahead of us for community feedback as the city establishes its guidelines, but I feel confident this will happen within the comong year. Several cities near us (Winston-Salem, Salisbury — site of the Salisbury prison, which had a higher per capita death rate than Andersonville in the CW — and Thomasville all have successfull historic districts.)

It's exciting. I can't wait to put a plaque on our porch that says 'Smith House, 1920.'

Close Window