View single post by connyankee
 Posted: Thu Sep 20th, 2007 05:43 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
connyankee

Mana: 

Ok, this one goes to me.  I just put a screwdriver tip through my left pinky finger and it wasn't a pretty sight. 

Before I get started, let me just say that screwdrivers were invented for one purpose and that is to drive screws through a hole.  They were not intended to be used as mini-crowbars, paint can lid removers, hub cap removers and the like.  My dad (RIP) once told me that there is a tool for every job which is a damn good rule to keep in mind.

I was installing replacement weather stripping on the bottom of my garage doors, using a screwdriver to guide the semi-hard rubber material into its groove.  In retrospect, I should have taken a better approach by perhaps using a heat gun to temporarily soften the material and using the proper tool or even hiring a profe$$ional to do the job.  All I know is that I am not real fond of the sight of blood, particularly if it's my own.  U.S Grant didn't like blood either - it made him sick. 

My biggest error, I think, was my over-confidence in previous successes with the misuse of this tool.  I'm not going to believe anyone who happens to read this that says they haven't used a screwdriver for something other than driving screws.  Shame on you.  Yet the old saying goes that "when you sart pointing your finger at someone, the other fingers in your hand are pointing at you (even little pinkys)". 

My wife, bless her heart, sometimes uses a butter knife to secure a screwhead.  I say, while buttering the toast with this funny looking "s" curve at the end of the blade, "don't you know they've invented screwdrivers for this? I have tons of screwdrivers around here and know how to use them."  Hmmm...

Nuff said, I guess.  It was my own stupid mistake.  Gotcha!  Could use a drink - maybe vodka this time - maybe a screwdriver.  Absolutely.

conn (of the) yankee :?

Close Window