View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Fri Feb 17th, 2006 07:19 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

connyankee wrote: A few years back, the University of Connecticut did a survey of college seniors at 55 of the country's top colleges which they dubbed the "Elite College History Survey".  65% who took this high school history test flunked it.

Here's what they offered.  Try it out and judge for yourself.

http://www.education-world.com/a_issues/TM/WS_college_history_survey.shtml

Alright, someone who knows how to score things is going to have to tell me how well I did. I got 27 out of 34 correct. The first one I got wrong was number 7 and I stupidly decided not to go with my first choice thinking it was too logical with what I know and what I remember being taught in eight grade about the Emancipation Proclamation. The only other one I got wrong that I should have gotten right was number 28, there I should have paid attention to the roman numerals instead of blindly circling. Thought I was circling WWII only to find out I circled WWI. Other than those two, I really would have missed the ones I did.

Some I thought were way too easy, like the dates. Given those kinds of ranges for dates, I think it's easier to get the correct answer, which makes the 65% failing all the sadder. Then there was questions 5 and 17 which, while indeed would be a part of history, I feel don't belong on a history quiz. Their more pop culture and I'd bet were two that rarely were missed.

Last edited on Sat Aug 21st, 2010 06:33 am by Hellcat

Close Window