View single post by Albert Sailhorst
 Posted: Tue Sep 25th, 2007 06:43 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

According to "Hardee's Rifle and Light Infantry Tactics" http://www.usregulars.com/hardeehome.html#school%20of%20the%20soldier

6. Ram- CARTRIDGE.

One time and one motion.

163. Insert the rammer as far as the right, and steady it in this position with the thumb of the left hand; seize the rammer at the small end with the thumb and fore-finger of the right hand, the back of the hand to the front; press the ball home, the elbows near the body.

Though the manual suggests the right thumb and forefinger (rather than holding the rammer in the fist, as the figure represents), I would suggest that, in the practicality of combat situations neccessitating speed and thus ignoring the "by the book" practice, it is possible to have rammed the minie in the fashion represented by the figure. As I suggested earlier, grasping the rammer in the fist would be more practical to ram seat a minie aftr the gun begins to foul and make it more difficult to ram with just the thumb and forefinger.

However, I am in the artillery, and my experience firing my Springfield is limited.

Close Window