View single post by JDBano
 Posted: Sat Feb 18th, 2006 12:04 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
JDBano
$user_title

Mana: 

I am a Marylander.  I have sent the following to my two Senators and my Representative.  I urge everyone who reads this to send a similar message to your congressmen.

February 17, 2006
This Wednesday, vandals attacked and severely damaged three of the monuments located at the Gettysburg National Military Park.  Early estimates are that it could cost over a $100,000 to repair the damage.  The sickening work of the people who committed this crime can be seen at http://www.civilwarinteractive.com/PR0216GBVandals.htm.
It is tragic and sickening that monuments honoring many of the 10,000 Americans who died at Gettysburg have suffered this fate.  Gettysburg is one of the most sacred places in America, the place where Abraham Lincoln reminded us why it is important to the world that there be a United States of America.
As a member of Congress, I beg your help to quickly undo this damage, by providing the money needed by the Gettysburg National Military Park to repair the monuments.  The employees of the National Park Service do a wonderful job preserving and protecting this hallowed place, but they are stretched terribly thin.  For the past several years, federal funding for the park has not kept up with the rate of inflation, and the park has had to cut back on its hard-pressed work force.  They are too few in number to police the park adequately to prevent such vandalism.  As this damage was done on federally-owned land, I feel it would be appropriate if you could do something to enlist the assistance of the Federal Bureau of Investigation to investigate and help solve this crime.
These monuments were placed on the battlefield 120 years ago.  They were paid for by the Americans who so nobly fought there, to honor their friends who died there.  Those Americans are no longer with us, but we must not forget them.
The Gettysburg National Military Park is not in your jurisdiction, but I am certain that thousands of your constituents have visited there, and would be wholly supportive of anything you would do to help.  I know that you are facing huge challenges in finding the money to pay for all of the critical needs facing America, and that there are enormous pressures to hold the line on federal spending.  But I hope you share my belief that places like Gettysburg are so important to preserving the history of what make our country great, that you will help to repair the damage done there.  If you do, I would be grateful.

Close Window