View single post by Albert Sailhorst
 Posted: Fri Oct 5th, 2007 08:06 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Texas Defender,

Thanks for making my point for me....You said it the way I wanted to say it regarding economics.

The comment about about why weren't there white slaves, in my opinion, is applying 21st century thought to accepted practices/mores of the 19th century.

First, native Africans didn't have the means to resist becomming enslaved, ie, weapons, fighting capability that the whites did.

Second, and today we know better,  Africans were seen (in 19th century thought) as ignorant and thus easily enslaved (I'll take flack for that comment, I'm sure, but bear in mind, I said "today we know better").

At one time, there were indentured servants, so yes, white slaves did exist.

Sadly, I am a step away from canceling my account. I come here to learn, not be insulted and have it implied that I am, or all Southerners are/were racist. I'd have expected better from the people here. I'm sure you'll find very few Southerners decided to risk their lives and be killed just to supress a particular race. Personally, I wouldn't die to keep someone in bondage, and I doubt very many others would either. Remember, there was also sentiment among Federal troops after the Emancipation Proclimation, that they weren't fighting to free the slaves; they were fighting to preserve the Union. On the other side of the coin, Confederate troops didn't fight to keep slavery.

I need to go before my weekend is entirely ruined.

I'll be thinking of y'all as the Southern Cross flies behind me this weekend.

Close Window