View single post by booklover
 Posted: Tue Oct 9th, 2007 11:23 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
booklover

Mana: 

Bama, you are right that I need to explain my last post, but first let me say to Albert, I appreciate your comments and agree that we all can learn from each other. Most of the time, in this type of discussion, I either end up agreeing to disagree with someone and we remain friends or we never speak to each other again. I've lost some good friends that way. From your post I think we can agree to disagree.

Bama, there were a number of things that set me off, but only one was related to this board. I might have misread HankC's comments, but from what I gathered it seemed he was saying that the Confederate symbols were innocent and meaningless until they were taken over by Strom Thurmond and the Dixiecrats. That made me think of the old segregationist argument that Jim Crow was too entrenched in the Southern lifestyle to ever be ended, a notion shattered by C. Vann Woodward's "Strange Career of Jim Crow". I let my emotions get the better of me because I couldn't understand how anyone can think a symbol perpetuating anything as horrid as slavery could ever be considered innocent under any circumstance.

But what really made me angry was a friend who directed me to this link.

http://csagov.org/

In my mind, I connected that with this discussion and lost my cool. Guys, I'm sorry, but I cannot in good conscience suspend my feelings of 1)what the war was truly fought over and 2)that anyone could honestly believe it would be better to go back to it, with or without slavery. I don't know if anyone on this board agrees with what the website I mention above stands for, but I hope to God not.

Best
Rob

Close Window